Lions Club International (LCI) selected Hargrove, Inc., a creator of environments, experiential marketing activations, expositions, and exhibits based in Lanham, Maryland, to design a display to anchor its annual convention and exhibition and highlight the group’s 100th anniversary in 2017. LCI envisioned a unique, museum-like design that would reflect upon its history, celebrate its achievements, and present a vision for the future. Hargrove developed an environment featuring 8 distinct areas and a theatre. An array of interactive technologies supported different modes of discovery and learning.
Hargrove worked closely with the LCI staff and committee members to understand its various needs and the desired attendee experience. Discovery sessions with LCI clarified the following goals:
- Enable self-guided experiences with a high level of interactivity
- Engage a multilingual, international audience
- Incorporate Centennial history and messaging
Based upon LCI’s need to feature 13 key content areas, Hargrove designed an exhibit that was accessible from ALL sides. The plan encouraged attendees to “create their own adventure,” aided by a layout that easily identified topics and an open floor plan that invited exploration. LCI’s Centennial Exhibit was strategically positioned within the convention hall to ensure it was always within attendees’ view. The “exhibits within an exhibit,” included:
- Celebration of Service: an augmented reality activation let visitors explore LCI’s 5 service areas – Diabetes, Environment, Hunger Relief, Childhood Cancer, and Vision.
- The Future of Lions: an avatar answered questions from attendees and waved to passersby, providing information about how far LCI has come and what lies ahead for the organization.
- Life Without Sight: an audio feed of city noises such as cars driving by, honking horns, barking dogs, and people talking was paired with light towers where attendees were blindfolded to experience the world as a visually impaired person.
- The Leo Impact: a touchscreen monitor kiosk displayed different videos highlighting service areas.
- International Peace and Understanding
- The Founding
- The Growth of Lions
- Our Foundation – Disaster Relief exhibit
- Centennial Exhibit Theater
In addition to engaging the majority of the nearly 30,000 attendees in individual, personalized interactions, the 14,400 square-foot Centennial Exhibit gave LCI the opportunity to host 42 presentations – a combination of live and video – in 11 languages over the 5-day convention. The use of technology led visitors on a journey that was experiential, motivational, and educational.